WORDS HAVE POWER
Words do hurt and sometimes other people's words can trigger you to emotionally react. (actions too)
Whenever something triggers you, you have two options:
- React - taking the emotion that was triggered and throwing/projecting it back at the other, amplifying
- Respond - pausing, collecting your thoughts, riding your emotional wave and responding with care
You always have the POWER OF CHOICE. Reacting to something gives your power to the trigger. You believe that its their fault you FEEL offended, judged, belittled, (insert emotion here). Reacting gives the power to the other and makes what they think about you mean more than what you think about yourself.
Who/what angers you, controls you. Who/what elicits a reaction from you, controls you.
Taking your power back means responding in neutrality and using your response to change the conditions and situation for the better.
What if someone is unknowingly triggering you?
- Do you have expectations the other person isn't meeting?
- Do they even know about these expectations?
- Is this a misalignment of values and principles?
- How can you communicate clearly your needs and values to the other person without controlling them?
How do you defend yourself when you're triggered?
Look at your Gene Keys profile and find the line number in your EQ sphere.
Your Gene Key and line will tell you about your emotional defense. This is how you REACT when you are triggered.
- Line 1 - Self-Sabotage - Manifested through a low self-esteem.
- Line 2 - Aggression - Anger with blame attached to it becomes aggression.
- Line 3 - Apathy - Insensitivity and a lack of compassion.
- Line 4 - Meanness - This is an externalization of our own low self esteem. It is also a way of pushing someone else away when we fear rejection by them.
- Line 5 - Disrespect - This can be disrespect for one’s body, health, or feelings in general. Or disrespect can be projected outwards onto the environment, the culture, or specific people. This is always about the power struggle.
- Line 6 - Alienation - Watch yourself when you disengage, separate and isolate.
Use the general line descriptions to help you transform the shadow pattern and emotional defense of your EQ.